Monday, January 3, 2011

Dont you dare ask me that question again

curlcandy.com


I thought I was the only one, and then a close friend shared me a link in Inquirer. I’m in the middle of writing a blog about this irritating question people usually ask me and  after reading the article above, it made me finish my blog sooner. I don't usually touch this topic because I find it inappropriate but since some people are getting into my nerves already, you left me with no choice but to echo my thoughts.
_____

It’s almost New Year ’s Eve and we are at a mall in Batangas doing some last minute shopping when my mom bumped into some old folks. You know how it is in the province, relatives (distant and close) are everywhere. My mom proudly introduced me “ Panganay ko, 28, dalaga pa”, she said. I smiled and greeted them Happy New Year (I am a nice person you know!) then I heard the monstrous question from the stranger. “ Ay kailan ka mag-aasawa?”, he asked in Batangueno accent. I rolled my eyes and walked away gracefully and waited for my mom to finish her conversation with these earthlings!

-----

Argh!  Some people, aren’t they sensitive enough? What in the hell is going on in their minds asking stupid questions like that. He heard it, I am single! How could they even blurt a follow-up (dim-witted) question like that? This is not the first time I encountered these kind of aliens. If I could just answer back:

“Bukas na lang po, gabi na kase”
“ Pag yumaman po ako bibili na po ako ng lalaki”
“ Di po kase kasama sa package ng simbahan ang libreng groom”
“Bibigyan nyo po ba ako, please yung matino po at hindi ako lolokohin!”

Haist!  I would rather choose to remain silent than exclaim my point of view. Desperation doesn’t have a chance to set in! Hey, I’m living a life here, a good one! I am enjoying every bit of my singlehood. Yes, I would love to get married in the near future but that would be a different story and I would not put down my happiness just because I’m 28 (even turning 29 in  2 months) and I am not yet and even near of getting married. I won’t wait before I am married to get on with the rest of my life. I am pursuing my dreams and the wonderful things that God has put in my heart. So just shut your mouth if you don't have any good conversation starter, OK? 

And in case we’ll bump into each other in the coming days, don’t dare ask me the same brainless and heartless question, I would just gladly tell you I am happy to see you, oh and please don’t have the nerve to tell me       “ Ang taba mo ngayon” - that's not how you greet your friend, I will really really walk away.

Happy New Year everyone, literally!



2 comments:

sheryl may said...

Hi Sweet! I hope that you still remember me ... i'm so happy to discover your blog site...we share the same dilemma ...i turned 32 last october and it gets into my nerves as well to meet/speak with friends or relatives who always ask the same question ..."kailan ka mag-aasawa?"..."hindi ka pa mag-aasawa?"...nakakarindi di ba? let's just give them our sweetest smile! :) take care and the best of luck on your SWEET 30 THINGS BEFORE 30 PROJECT ! woot! woot!

thank you for touching my life today ...i also read about your backpacking trip to Marinduque...that we're not tourists but pilgrims...i hope to be a better person in the eyes of our Creator.

i am,

Sheryl May


p.s.
i hope by the time i will get married you'd still be available to grace it... :D

Blueberry Girl said...

Hi Sheryl! :)Happy New Year!

at 32 you are beautiful as a woman, im sure of that ^^ and when the right time and the right guy for you arrives it will be a blast :) SO while you are waiting for that silly guy let's grow in love with God, be the best you can be until he finds you ( i'll do the same) hihihi

Marinduque photos and updates not available yet but im working on it :) it was a great experience!

Pray for me and my 30B430 project and oh when your big day comes, and yes God permits I am available Id love to be your wedding host!

share a sunshine,
Sweet

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...